Each year, new weight loss diets appear that promise to reveal the ultimate secret of success – if only you buy the book, pills or potions. When assessing whether a diet is a fad, ask yourself, does the diet:
- Contradict advice from qualified health professionals?
- Promote or ban specific foods or whole food groups?
- Promote a one-size-fits-all strategy?
- Promise quick, dramatic or miraculous results with minimal effort?
- Focus only on short-term results?
- Promote “miracle” pills, supplements or products touted to “burn fat”?
- Make claims based on personal testimonials or one random study?
If the answer to two or more of these questions is “yes”, it’s probably a fad.
For more info on fads check this out: https://theconversation.com/blood-type-pioppi-gluten-free-and-mediterranean-which-popular-diets-are-fads-104867.