- 750g gravy beef, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, remove ends and papery skin then finely chopped
- 1 eggplant, cut in half and cut into 1cm thick slices
- 1 zucchini, cut in half and slice
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 x 410g cans chopped tomatoes (with basil and garlic)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2/3 cup Massel beef stock
- Soft polenta, to serve
Slow cooker tomato, basil and eggplant beef
Let this rich beef stew cook away while you're busy doing other things.
It’s this easy
- Place beef and flour in a large snap-lock bag. Add with some pepper and a small amount of salt. Seal. Shake to coat. If you don’t have a ziplock bag stir the ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat half the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, until browned all over. Transfer to bowl of slow cooker.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion, eggplant and zucchini. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, stock and some ground black pepper.Stir to combine ingredients.
- Cover with lid. Cook on low for 6 hours or until beef is very tender, stirring halfway during cooking. If you don’t have a slow cooker, you could place all ingredients in an oven proof dish, cover and cook in a 110°c oven.
- Serve with polenta.
- For some herby zing stir in some fresh basil leaves just before serving. For an extra rich curry add ½ cup wine when adding the tomatoes.