Serves = 6
250g skinless chicken thighs
1 onion, remove ends and papery skin then slice
2 cloves garlic, crushed or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
½ leek, wash well to remove grit, cut in half lengthways and finely slice
1 x 450 g can diced tomatoes
2 salt- reduced chicken stock cubes
4 cups boiling water
1 large carrot, sliced
1 cup green beans, chopped
1 large stick celery, chopped
½ cup red lentils
2 teaspoon Tabasco or peri-peri sauce
1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
Spicy Chicken & Vegetable Soup
This spicy soup is will help keep you immune system fighting fit!
Serves = 6
It’s this easy
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add some oil spray.
- Add the chicken thighs and cook so they are brown on both sides, they don’t need to be cooked all the way through just yet. Put the chicken on a plate.
- Add the onion, garlic and leek to the pot and cook until softened.
- Add the crushed tomatoes.
- Crumble the stock cubes into the boiling water, stir to dissolve them and add to the pot.
- Bring to the boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add all the other ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the pot, put it on a chopping board and roughly chop it.
- Continue to cook the soup for another 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Add the chopped chicken back to the soup and serve
- Swap the chicken for a can of red kidney or black beans and serve with wholegrain toast to boost fibre, and zinc intakes even further.
- Short on time? Are fresh vegetables difficult for you to access and store? You can make this using frozen mixed vegetables instead of fresh.
- Make a large batch and freeze leftovers for later.
- Check allergens in stock
- Ok for gluten free if using the right soy sauce
- Ok for soy free is you leave out the soy sauce
This recipe is great to boost your immunity and can help you feel better when your nose is blocked. For more on this see our article here: