- 4 large flat mushrooms
- 4 whole- grain buns
- 250g haloumi, thinly sliced
- 1 baby gem lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup jar roasted pepper strips, drained and sliced
- ½ red onion
- 1 cup, firmly packed basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, miced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
These savoury mushroom burgers, packed full or veggies will give any beef burger a run for it’s money.
It’s this easy
- Make the pesto by adding basil, pine nuts, cheese and garlic to a food processor. You can use a stick blender if you don’t have a food processor. Process until everything is chopped and with the motor running pour the oil in a steady stream.
- Heat the BBQ on medium heat. Drizzle some pepper, a small amount of salt and olive oil on the mushrooms. Place them on the BBQ and cook for 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast or warm the buns.
- Drizzle some oil on the haloumi and cook on the flat plate of the BBQ for 1 minute on each side or until golden. If you don’t have a BBQ you can cook the mushrooms and haloumi in a frying pan, oven or sandwich press.
- Assemble the burgers with the mushroom, haloumi, lettuce, roasted pepper and onion and top with pesto.